Friday, January 6, 2012

How Do Polar Animals Keep Warm?

This week, our MWF classes learned about polar animals. On Wednesday, we identified lots of polar animals and where they live (North Pole or South Pole)   On Friday, our focus was polar bears. 

My husband and I took a trip to Seattle this summer.  One day we visited the  Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma where we saw an awesome polar bear exhibit (my brain automatically thought of an activity for school).  So the children guessed how big polar bears are and then I showed them this picture of my husband.  We also learned where polar bears live and discovered their paws are huge.  I had four paws of various sizes. The children were to guess which paw was the correct size.  A polar bear paw measures about twelve inches.  That is one big paw.

Finally, we learned how polar animals stay so warm.  For more information on this fun experiment click-http://metamoracommunityprek.blogspot.com/2010/01/polar-animals.html

Polar Bears are BIG!



Polar animals are so varied and interesting.  Learn more about polar animals. Click on Kid Zone and search for your favorite polar animal http://www.kidzone.ws/   I did a quick search on this site. It looks like it will lead you to a lot of other sites for your animal---facts, puzzles, coloring pages, etc. I like National Geographic Kids  for facts and fun.  Don't forget your local library, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment