1. Load up your bikes and grab your helmets and visit Safety Town
2. Visit Allerton Park which is one of the seven wonders of Illinois. I bet you didn't even know there were seven wonders of Illinois. I didn't.
3. Staved Rock is another one of the seven wonders of Illinois. Starved Rock State Park is located on the Illinois River. It is a relatively short drive and a great day trip. This is one of my favorite places in Illinois. You can hike in the park or walk around downtown Utica. If you are spending the day, pack a picnic or the Starved Rock Park Lodge has a fantastic view and outdoor drinks and dining. It's worth it just to see the facility and all the big log sculptures outside the lodge. Stop by Foothills Organics for a free cookie. Check out the Foothills line of organic foods. Tell Gerard and Becky I said 'Hi!' Restaurants, gift shops and wine tasting are plentiful. Skoogs Pub and Grill is a favorite. We want to try the Cajun Connection sometime but have not been----There's is a good restaurant on the river but the name escapes me and I couldn't find it online but I also didn't search very hard. Want to spend the night? Grizzly Jack's Grand Bear Resort is a lot closer than the Wisconsin Dells. Did I mention I love Starved Rock?
4. Farmdale Park---I have never been but several listeners called in this one.
5. Nancy raved about the Kids Bowl Free program.
6. Like flea markets? Third Sunday Market is well...the the third Sunday of each month in Bloomington.
7. Head up to Grandview Drive and the park with the kids and a picnic.
8. Try geocaching
9. Watch Alice in Wonderland and plan an unbirthday party for everyone.
10. Dance...YouTube has great instructional videos on all sorts of line dances. Start with the Hokey Pokey. The Chicken Dance is a must plus the Cupid Shuffle, Limbo, Macarena, Hand Jive, Electric Slide and Cha Cha Slide.
Need more? Younger children can draw pictures of their experience, journal, scrapbook, take lots and lots of photos, video a 'news' report or create a family 'Travel Channel'. Have a great summer with your child!!!