Monday, May 24, 2010

Road Trip!


I have fond memories of family vacations. Every year, my parents loaded up five kids in the family station wagon and traveled. Most years we headed 'up north' to Wisconsin or Minnesota but we also drove to the West Coast (twice). All without car seats, cell phones, a GPS, hand held games or DVD players in the car. I do not know how my mother did it.

With the current economy, the 'stay-cation' is a popular choice for families. You can feel like you are breaking away without breaking your budget. This idea comes from 'Family Fun' magazine in the Family Traditions section http://familyfun.coverleaf.com/familyfun/201003/?pg=38#pg38 The idea is 'A Mystery Adventure' from Goo and Dan Newman in Littleton, Massachusetts. The Newmans used this idea with their three children who are 8, 9 and 12. I love it because the get-aways are at no cost or low cost. My kids are too big but I am hoping to do some mystery adventures with my husband.

Want to do more? Have your children children journal about the trip in a notebook or special journal for mystery adventures. Too young to write? Have them dictate what they experienced. Older children can record the odometer start and finish and figure miles traveled. Use the family field trip first ( and most important) for family fun and second for family learning experiences.