Saturday, March 20, 2010

Chicka Chicka BOOM BOOM!





Our TTH class has had a lot of fun with the classic children's book, Chicka Chicka BOOM BOOM! When I read this book to the children I tell them whenever I say "Chicka Chicka" they are to respond, "BOOM, BOOM!" Extremely loud and and extremely fun! So we read the book, do our crafts but it's the coconut that was fun and a first for me.

On Tuesday, we had the coconut out for the children to look at and explore. We also put out magnifying glasses for them to use. We did a dictation activity which was sent home. I loved 'the coconut is furry' comment.

So Thursday, we opened the coconut. I have never opened a coconut before so of course I turned to YouTube for instruction. YouTube did not fail me. We first talked about how I should open it and then BAM! I opened the coconut. It was super super easy! At snack time, each student tasted the coconut. Really not too tasty. No one liked the taste and I am not a big fan of coconut anyway. The next time I teach this lesson, we will have bakers coconut to taste and compare.

So get your Chicka Chicka Boom Boom book out or head to the library and check it out. Make some macaroon cookies and look for a fun coconut recipe to make with your child and we will meet you at the top of the coconut tree.