Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Drum Line


Okay remember-no musical talent in your child's preschool teacher but we did have fun with our drums today. We decorated our drums and then played on our drums. First, we let the kids just play. Next, I have several large circles with directions-stop, go, fast, slow, loud, soft, girls and boys. We did the stop and go first and than added boys and girls. We also talked about the person who gives the directions to the musicians is the conductor. They were exposed to this concept during Peter and the Wolf. The last thing we did was listen/repeat. I hit a drum once. The children were to hit the drum once. We did this a lot with a different number of beats and different speeds (tempo??? rhythm??? I don't know). It was fun. Both of these activities are easily done at home with your child. They really have to watch, listen and pay attention. Have your child be the conductor, too.