Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Carrot Seed

'The Carrot Seed' is such a classic children's book. The book has short and simple text plus simple illustrations. This combined with a timeless message of patience and perseverance has made this book a favorite with children for over sixty years.

We had many activities with our three year olds and 'The Carrot Seed' this week. We read the book of course and then we read it several more times. Each time the girls were the mom in the story and said, "I'm afraid it won't come up." The boys were the dad and then all the children were the big brother. I really like involving the children in the literature we are reading. This was super fun and the kids loved it.

We learned carrots are vegetables and carrots grow under the ground. We planted carrot seeds and talked about how tiny those carrot seeds are. We learned our seeds will need water and sunshine to grow.

We did some graphing. The graph was titled-Do You Like Carrots? The chart was labeled YES and NO. I held up a paper carrot and the children were to see if it was their name (name recognition activity) and then they glued it under YES or NO. We looked at the graph and very easily could see YES had more and NO had less (introducing those math concepts) and then we counted. Ten children liked carrots and three did not.

We looked at carrots with the green leafy tops. I cut off the leafy top and we placed them in some wet sand in a pie pan. The carrot tops are supposed to regrow. This is the first time I have done this activity so we will see. You can try this at home. Buy the carrots with the green leafy tops (I found them at Kroger). Cut off the top and leave about an inch of the carrot and place in a shallow dish (we used a pie pan) filled with sand. Keep the sand wet and in a sunny spot.

We also have a number matching game in the Discovery Center. You can see in the photo the children are to match the dots to the correct numeral.

What to do at home? Get 'The Carrot Seed' from the library. Have carrots and ranch dip for a snack. Make carrot cake. Have fun!