Monday, May 12, 2014

My Top 108 Children's Books



Like most teachers I love everything about children's books. I love to use voices when I read.  I am very animated when I read to the children.  I stop and explain vocabulary or ask questions about the story or characters. I love to include the children in our story time (Owl Babies, Go, Dog. Go! and That's Good. That's Bad are just a few examples of books that I use where the children can be involved in the story).

Children's Book Week is May 12th-May 18th.  My two all time favorite children's books are Where the Wild Things Are and The Very Hungry Caterpillar but there are also so many other books I love.  I tried to keep the list to one hundred but was unable to remove any of my choices so here are my top 108 favorite children's books (sorry in most cases I did not include authors).



  1. Fall-Halloween-Thanksgiving   Barn Dance      
  2. Rattlebone Rock
  3. Halloweiner
  4. Big Pumpkin
  5. Go Away Big Green Monster
  6. The Monster at the End of this Book
  7. Inside a House That is Haunted
  8. The Vanishing Pumpkin
  9. A Turkey for Thanksgiving
  10. Winter & Christmas   The Night Before Christmas illustrated by Jan Brett         
  11.  The Night Before Christmas illustrated by Tomie de Paola
  12.  The Night Before Christmas illustrated by Marry Englebriet
  13. The Snowy Day
  14. The Mitten retold  by Jan Brett
  15. The Wild Christmas Reindeer
  16.  The Jacket I Wear in the Snow
  17. Snowmen at Night
  18. The Amazing Christmas Extravaganza
  19. The 12 days of Christmas-a pop up book Robert Sabuda
  20. Santa Calls by  William Joyce (I really love the ending of this story)
  21. Polar Express
  22. Santa’s Twin by Dean Koontz  (It's Dean Koontz.  It's illustrated but not for little ones.)
  23. Thomas’ Snowsuit                              
  24. Classics & Everything Else I Love   Goggles         
  25. The Snowy Day
  26. Whistle for Willie
  27. Frederick
  28. Have You Seen My Ducklings
  29. Ping
  30. Blueberries for Sal
  31. Make Way for Ducklings
  32. The Carrot Seed
  33. Strega Nona
  34. Jamie O’Rourke and the Big Potato
  35. Clever Tom and the Leprechaun
  36. Bedtime for Frances
  37. The Story of Ferdinand
  38. Go Dog.  Go!
  39. Green Eggs and Ham
  40. The Cat in the Hat
  41. Inch by Inch
  42. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  43. Polar Bear, Polar Bear What do you Hear?
  44. Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do you See?
  45. The Grouch Ladybug
  46. The Very Hungry Caterpillar
  47. It Looked like Spilt Milk
  48. Harry the Dirty Dog
  49. Tiki Tiki Tembo
  50. Miss Nelson is Missing
  51. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
  52. Pete the Cat  I Love my White Shoes
  53. Never Tease a Weasel
  54. Going on a Bear Hunt   illustrated by Eve Bunting (an MCP favorite!)
  55. Where the Wild Things Are
  56. The Giving Tree
  57. A House is a House
  58. Jamberry
  59. That’s Good That’s Bad
  60. Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
  61. Madeline
  62. Don’t Let Pigeon Drive the Bus
  63. m & m Counting Book
  64. No, David!
  65. Pigsty  by  M. Teague
  66. Ten Apples Up on Top
  67. A Busy Year by Leo Lionni
  68. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
  69. Jimmy’s Boa and the Big Splash Birthday Bash (There are several stories about Jimmy's boa but this is my favorite.)
  70. Prehistoric Pinkerton (Likewise with Pinkerton, many books but love this one.)
  71. Going on a Whale Watch  photography by Bruce McMillan
  72. Bugs  by Nancy WinslowParker and Joan R. Wright
  73. Gone Wild Endangered Animal Alphabet
  74. Alphabet City
  75. Over in the Ocean in a Coral Reef
  76.  Berlioz the Bear
  77.  Where’s Waldo
  78. I SPY  photographs by Walter Wick   ( the original big hardback books)
  79. If the Dinosaurs Came Back
  80. Dinosaurs by Gail Gibbons
  81. No Jumping on the Bed (I  prefer the old school illustrations vs. the updated version)
  82. Wordless Books   Noah's Ark illustrated by Peter Spier
  83. Rain  illustrated by Peter Spier 
  84. The Snowman  illustrated by Raymond Briggs
  85. Good Dog, Carl  illustrated by Alexandra Day
  86. Family   Come Over to My House
  87. Stellaluna                 
  88. Owl Babies
  89. Froggy Gets Dressed (Like most series, the first story is the best)
  90. 5 People in My Family Sesame Street
  91. Seven Silly Eaters (I love Mrs. Peters)
  92. Guess How Much I Love You
  93. Mama, Do You Love Me?
  94. The Relatives Came
  95.  I Love You Forever
  96. The Kissing Hand
  97. Is Your Mama a Llama
  98. A Chair for My Mother
  99. Are You My Mother?
  100. Five Minutes Peace  (This is the first of several stories about Mrs. Large and her family. I love Mrs. Large.) 
  101. Fairy Tales and Fractured Fairy Tales   Piggie Pie!
  102. No Moon, No Milk!
  103. 3 Little Wolves and The Big Bad Pig
  104. Mary Had a Little Lamb   photographs by Bruce McMillan
  105. The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs
  106. The Frog Prince, Continued
  107. The Gingerbread Girl
  108. The Gingerbread Cowboy

No comments:

Post a Comment