Monday, October 4, 2010

Barn Dance!

Our MWF classes listened to the story 'Barn Dance!' This is one of my favorite children's books. It is written by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault. Do you recognize the authors? Bill Martin Jr. wrote the 'Brown Bear, Brown Bear' books with Eric Carle as the illustrator. Bill and John also wrote 'Chicka Chicka Boom Boom'.

Before I read the book, we looked at the cover and the children told me what they saw. We talked about the boy, it's dark, where should that boy be, the scarecrow, what is a scarecrow's job, are they in the city or the country, what is a barn, where do you find a barn, who do you think is going to come to the dance and what do you hear at a dance. Remember the goal of reading is to engage your child in the book. Ask questions. Talk about the illustrations. Get their reaction to the story.

When we talked about hearing music at a dance, I told the children that I was not going to read them the story but sing it them. We had a blast. This is such a good book and I highly recommend it for your library. It is available at Amazon and most major book stores. I read it so many times to my boys I know the words by heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment