Friday, January 6, 2012

Penguins and Puffins

This past summer, my husband and I visited the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma, Washington.  The zoo has puffins and they were so cute.  It was inspiration (I know...even on vacation I am thinking about preschool!)  Our TTh class has had a unit on penguins for a few years and this year we also learned about puffins.

On Tuesday, we learned about penguins and each child created a penguin.  They did a really good job listening to teacher directions.  The penguin has many pieces and the children have to be really attentive to get it right. This craft is also an opportunity for us to discuss ovals.  For more information on why we do crafts click http://metamoracommunityprek.blogspot.com/2010/01/march-of-penguins.html

We sang 'I'm A Little Penguin'  
(tune-I'm A Little Teapot, of course)

I'm a little penguin black and white.
I swim all day and waddle all night.
I follow my friends wherever they go
Over the rocks and into the snow!

On Thursday, we learned about puffins and then discussed how puffins and penguins are the same and different.  This activity helps the children recall details they have learned and compare and contrast the two birds. Want to learn more?  Go to the National Geographic Kids site and search penguins and puffins.  http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/  or Project Puffin http://www.projectpuffin.org/   Explore your local library and bookstore for books about penguins and puffins! 

No comments:

Post a Comment