Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth Day 2012

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago...the second best time is right now.  Proverb

April 22, 1970---the first Earth Day.  I was a little girl.  You and your children were not even born.  Here we are over forty years later still working on our planet.  We must keep working.

I have always recycled and reused at home and at school.  I have been fortunate to live in areas where we could recycle even twenty years ago before anyone even thought of curbside recycling.  

Could we be greener at MCP?  Sure.  Like most organizations there are still things we could do better. However, we do a lot of things at MCP that make us 'green'.

***For the first time since I started at MCP,  all monthly newsletters have been sent via email starting in the fall of 2011.

***We do not use 'printables' or worksheets with our preschoolers.  Many programs use 'printables' and worksheets in their programs  using large amounts of copy paper.  At MCP, we strongly believe early childhood education is in experience and activity.

***We reuse like crazy.  Anyone familiar with our program knows we are continually requesting 'treasures' and 'valuable junk' to use in our program.   Jars, bottles, egg cartons, toilet paper and paper towel tubes are just a few things we use for activities in our classroom.  We do not purchase any 'party supplier' type pre-cut crafts for our room.

***We have started to recycle plastic bottles and cardboard.

We can all do more.  Pick one thing. 

My husband had wanted to start composting many years ago and I resisted.  A few years ago, after lots of research and education, I started composting at home.  I love it (but I have the yard space to compost and not see it).   My point---pick your one thing and incorporate it into your lifestyle.

It is said that you can't change the world but you can change your corner of it.  Starting working on your corner today!  Happy Earth Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment